As per usual, I got almost zero sleep the night before as I was super anxious about what the results of the Ultrasound would be. I woke up groggy and tired but ready to get this done, after all it was the next big step in our journey to babyhood. We left early, giving ourselves plenty of time to get to our RE’s office which was good because we almost got ran off the road by a truck driver and ended up missing our transition onto another freeway. I was worried for no good reason other than I have no control of this situation and I hate not knowing.
We made it to the office with plenty of time and they even saw us early. We had different nurses this time, one of which was really sweet and the other well she wasn’t super personable, but whatever. The nice nurse Liz I believe her name was, made sure to ask me about the side effects I had encountered while taking Clomid, all of which she said were normal and nothing to be concerned with which was nice to hear. Then it came time for the ultrasound, I prepared myself for what ever the outcome would be and away we went. First the lining, it was the right thickness and looked great for potential implantation. She moved on to the right ovary and found 3 small follicles, many more than the one that they saw during our last ultrasound a week prior. Great the Clomid was doing it’s job, I instantly began to feel at ease! As I mentioned the follicles were small, with the largest measuring 10mm. For reference they want to see the follicles at 18mm before administering the trigger shot to induce ovulation. Next was the left ovary, the one that showed the cyst on the baseline ultrasound. This time there was no mention of the cyst but there was a beautiful follicle that measured a healthy 14mm which was not quite the size we were hoping for but it was well on it’s way. Because the follicle was not the the appropriate size to trigger they suggested that I come in for another monitoring ultrasound on Thursday, just a couple of days later. From what we were told by the nurse, follicles grow 1-2mm per day (at least while on Clomid as it stays in your system for up to a month), so assuming it continues to grow it should reach the necessary 18mm by Thursday. We would then administer the trigger shot that day and come back for the insemination procedure on Friday. All great news to us and we were super excited!
We met with the nurse to go over the official results of the monitoring ultrasound and we were able to ask questions at that time. As is custom, she read the report from our HSG Test prior to meeting with us and mentioned some interesting details we were not aware while performing the ultrasound. We decided to get some clarification while in her office. She explained that the report stated that there was spillage of the dye into the left tube but that the dye did not exit the left tube. There was no spillage into the right tube. So while the results were still inconclusive as our RE had told us, it did offer us some hope that at least the dye was able to partially flow through the left tube. She also brought up that a spasm could have caused the inconclusive results. I guess she was interested in why we would be proceeding with IUI if we did not have conclusive results so she reached out an RE other than our usual as he was not in the office. This RE suggested that we continue with this IUI treatment but that if it was unsuccessful that we consider another HSG Test but this time under sedation. My eyes opened wide, hallelujah, praise the Lord! This was music to my ears, as I would not have to feel that immense pain again but also get the conclusive results I sought after. Tubal re-canalization surgery was also mentioned as an alternative. However, this surgery would cost $6,000 to $7,000. Whatever we decide, it’s good to have options.
Bottom line – we hope that this IUI treatment is successful and that within a few short weeks we will get that never before seen, big fat positive on the pregnancy test!