Infertility: Ready, Set, Wait… Go!

Life has been so hectic lately, in a good way, but still hectic.  I am certainly not complaining, but traversing through a new home build is quite the feat.  A lot of our free time is spent packing, driving to our new home to check the progress of things and getting our affairs in order for the big move.  All of that combined with travel for both work and pleasure has left us with really no time to do another IUI.  An IUI cycle takes at least two weeks of dedicated time and of course it all revolves around Aunt Flo.  Perfect timing is really necessary and that, we have not had.

October is the first month where timing would be right.  We would have literally just enough time to do the whole process before we head back out to Vegas for our pre-drywall inspection.  Oh and I forgot to mention, Kaiser is not offered in Las Vegas which means that our days of 50% infertility coverage are limited.  Time is of the essence.

So it was decided, IUI was happening in October.  Aunt Flo came right on time and I made the call to Kaiser to let them know I was ready to proceed with another IUI.  During the call some unexpected details were discussed.  The nurse broke it to me that back in April of 2018 when we started our infertility journey at Kaiser, my thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level came back slightly elevated.  While at that time it wasn’t alarming, Kaiser has since changed their protocol and the level was no longer acceptable because it may contribute to miscarriage.  I would need to get retested to see if it has lowered.  If it did we could proceed if not, I would need to be given medication to bring it down, which means this cycle would be out of the question.  Needless to say I was totally taken aback, not only because time was running out on our chance to do IUI but also because it brought up the question of whether this was the reason for our miscarriage.  I got off the phone and asked Jon to call me, I was devastated.  We were both confused as to why this was not mentioned to us before, and contemplated all the what ifs that came along with this news.

I went to Kaiser during my lunch to get retested and anxiously awaited the results.  It wasn’t until the next morning that the results came in, my TSH levels went down quite a bit and I was in the normal range, THANK GOD!  IUI could go on as planned, and I don’t think that my TSH level contributed to our miscarriage, but I guess we will never know.

Our baseline ultrasound was scheduled for later that week and with a new doctor I might add.  We were eager to get started and pray that this will the cycle we conceive our rainbow baby.


light road red yellow


2 Comments Add yours

  1. jmarie1974 says:

    fingers crossed 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s