Trust is reliability, it is dependability and a feeling of being safe and secure. Trusting your partner adds a sense of warmth and comfort to your relationship that would otherwise not be present. Trust is being vulnerable with the understanding that your partner would never do anything to hurt you. Trust is the basis of any good relationship.
I think almost all of us have heard the phrase, “what is a relationship without trust?” And honestly, it’s pretty spot on. Without it you open your relationship up to a whole slew of problems including hurt, jealousy and control issues.
I encourage you to have an open discussion about trust with your partner. Communication is another key to any successful relationship. I have compiled a few simple questions and statements you can use and build on:
- Do you trust me?
- Do you feel like I can trust you?
- What can I do to make you feel secure in this relationship?
- I need ….. to feel secure in this relationship.
- Can I be my authentic self with you?
- Can you be your authentic self with me?
- Do I allow you the freedom you need?
- You allow me the freedom I need or because you trust me I need more freedom to…
- Is there anything you would like to get off your chest?
- Here is something I would like to get off my chest…
Please share your view on trust in the comments!