Infertility: Insemination (IUI Treatment Three)

Note: These blog posts are a bit behind and this pregnancy ended in a miscarriage.

I felt much more at ease this time despite everything we have on our plate right now.  I think it is because I have so much more on my mind that I don’t really have the time to worry about the what ifs that come with infertility treatments, or infertility in general.

Our schedule was super tight as we needed to make it on the road in time to miss traffic on our way to Las Vegas where Jon needed to be for work.  We got up around 8am to ensure that we had enough time to do everything.  We started by packing the car to the brim with our next round of stuff to bring to our storage unit close to our new home.  I think all those years of playing tetris really has come in handy when it comes to utilizing every inch of available space when packing our car.

Anyway, after the car was packed we finished up the last few things around the house that we needed to do before our week long trip.  After that it was just a waiting game, everything about IUI is perfect timing.  See we had to collect Jon’s sample and get it to Downey within one hour.  That combined with LA traffic is a definitely a challenge.

Luckily we happened to time everything perfectly and arrived at the office literally minutes before our appointment and within 45 minutes of collection.  TMI ALERT – with the sample between my breasts (they tell you to hold it there to keep the sample warm) we waited to be called to the back.  This time I didn’t stress about how long we had been waiting or if we would get called back within an hour of collection, I just let go and let God.

We were called to the back about fifteen minutes later where I had to sign all of these consent forms and hand over Jon’s sample.  They had me verify that the labels they had printed had all of my information correctly stated and then instructed me to put the label on the sample container which I did.  After that it was time for them to do the sperm wash.  They mentioned that now, because I had responded to the medication well that I would not need to do a progesterone test in a week or do the suppositories, hallelujah!

So with the sperm being washed, we waited in the waiting room to be called back to the back for the insemination.  I went to pay for the visit, and before you know it they called my name.  It was extremely fast!

As with our other inseminations we were able to see Jon’s little swimmers which was really cool.  The nurse practitioner was very impressed with Jon’s sample so that made me feel even more at ease.  I asked for the count and was told 40 to 50 percent, which I am assuming means 40 to 50 million and is the same as our last insemination.  The insemination began and Jon, like the very time, got to inject the sperm himself.  It wasn’t painful at all and overall the visit was a very pleasant experience.

We did the usual legs up, pillow under my behind and wait for 30 minutes to give Jon’s little swimmers some help.  After the 30 minutes was over we were up and on our way to Las Vegas.

Wow, what a whirlwind day!

So now began the two week wait.  Let’s see if I can make it the full fourteen days without testing.  We shall see.

Please send all your prayers and well wishes our way!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s